Contact Me

Please email me at: griffintutoring7@gmail.com
to schedule a free assessment, questions and comments on my blog posts!

Also contact me here for online sessions:
https://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/Chrishelpsyouwriteor
or
https://www.care.com/p/chrisc5872/tu

Monday, January 15, 2018

Art Break: Fun Marking Greeting Cards

Taking a break from my YouTube series on the comma, I had a chance to practice a free class on painting greeting cards with watercolor. Usually, I wouldn't use flowers as my particular style of greeting card, however the techniques are quite solid. 
I used a paper towel to leave water drops on blank greeting cards that will act as paint spreader. The red paint spreads throughout the water drop, this is a new technique learned. After allowing the water to dry, again this is watercolor and it teaches you to be patient, I painted little red spirals for the core of the rose. I then used glitter on it to make it look...y'know, glittery like you see on cards like these. I then continued to paint-draw the petals.
The rest is broken up in the steps below. Along with red paint, I used mod podge for the first time, which is like a thick putty mixed in with red and water on the rose care spiral to help the glitter hold in place. It was fun and meditative! Heck, maybe I'll start making my own cards for now on!

Wet paper towels and paint on the wet spots...
Using really wet red paint, use single strokes for flower backgrounds.
Use a less disolved bolder red for the pedal outlines and the rose core spirals. Drop red glitter onto the spirals and wait for the water to dry before flicking of excess glitter.
Wet the brush or push down on the red drops to let the color run inwards and lighten. 
You can also apply gold and sliver glitter to the background on top of red drops of paint...didn't have time to do that here unfortunately.
I varied up the number of roses per card. More could be done here, but not bad for making your own greeting cards.

2 comments: